No Free Horses!

No Free Horses!
Shiloh - a rescued horse (date was 7/14)

Monday, March 1, 2010

Trail Obstacle Course

Yesterday I started to build some trail obstacles on the property, along the wooded trail and on the grassy, perimeter track.  I used branches to set up four caveletti on the wooded trail . . . and used a tree trunk to make a jump.  I had four broken fence posts that I took to the shop and cut to equal lengths with a skill saw . . . and will use them to make a box for doing 180 - 360 degree turns on the forehand.
I will put a tarp in a low, wet section of the groomed track . . . sometimes it will be under water . . . and there is an ideal spot from which to hang a curtain of "vines" through which the horses need to ride calmly and without hesitation.  A bridge is already built and needs to be dragged to a location on the track . . . and a rope needs to be tied onto a log or a bag or tarp so it can be dragged as the horse moves forward and then backs up.  There are two different kinds of gates already in place to practice opening and closing gates from horseback . . . and there is a row of a dozen tall trees that can be used for weaving through at the trot.  My hope is that other trail riders will want to come and use the course . . . but, for sure, my horses will be trained on it whenever weather permits (these days, I'm a fair-weather rider, I'm afraid.).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for connecting with me by sharing your thoughts . . . it's one way friendships grow!