No Free Horses!

No Free Horses!
Shiloh - a rescued horse (date was 7/14)

Friday, March 5, 2010

Spring is early!

It appears that Spring came a bit early to my part of Kansas.  Today, the thermometer outside the office said "68 degrees."  There is a strong breeze today, but I believe it is supposed to die down by tomorrow.  The weeds are growing faster than I like to see, and as I was driving the tractor back from doing chores this a.m., I noticed a definite difference in the height of the grass in the gulley in the lawn along the road . . . Not ready to start mowing just yet.  Went to the feed store to get some Pasture Pro weed killer.  It's one of the only things I've found to kill Poison Hemlock . . . and as I've walked along the trail in the mornings, I've seen the hemlock plants growing wider and taller each day.  Last spring we had so much rain, that I wasn't able to get the hemlock sprayed until it was two feet tall or taller . . . Tomorrow morning, my goal is to spray as much as I can along the trail . . . If the sun is out all day, we should notice the hemlock dying by tomorrow night.

This weekend, friends are going to come for training on the obstacle course . . . and it will be interesting to see the reactions of the different horses to the obstacles.  I will take some photos of the different riders and obstacles and post some of them here . . .

The goal will be to have satisfied riders and calm, safe horses . . . before and after the training. 

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to Bloggy Land!! I hopped here from Oz Girls blog and wanted to say hi!! I too live in KS and have SO been enjoying this burst of Spring weather we have been having!! If I could just get one more wish, I'd have to cut that wind LOL!!

    Good luck and can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to blog land, I too am visiting from Oz Girls site. We have a ranch out here in Northern Nevada and enjoy the ranching life tremendously, stop in for a visit!

    I'm excited to hear how the trail course went!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for connecting with me by sharing your thoughts . . . it's one way friendships grow!