No Free Horses!

No Free Horses!
Shiloh - a rescued horse (date was 7/14)

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Pies and More Pies

Tourtiere (a French Canadian Meat Pie) . . . Never made one before.  I remember eating one made by a Vermont neighbor and thinking, "Meat shouldn't have cinnamon and ginger."  But there was something about it that I really liked, so when I saw a recipe for Tourtiere in a recent issue of YANKEE MAGAZINE, and since I needed to make Apple Pie for a coworker's promised birthday gift, and since I have company coming for dinner tonight . . . I decided to spend last night making pies.  After putting the MacIntosh Apple Pies in the oven, I started assembling the Tourtiere.  I had the 3c mashed potatoes all cooked, and had simmered the 2lb of ground pork and 1 medium-sized, finely chopped onion for four hours until the 2c of water were all evaporated . . . but just before the pork finished cooking, I decided to follow my taste-buds and modify the recipe by adding a bag of chopped spinach and Garlic Powder . . . and I added about 3/4c of shredded Parmesan to the Mashed Potatoes  . . . and mixed it all together, packed it into a double-crust pie crust . . . and painted it with egg-water . . . and put it in the fridge.  Will bake it tonight.  So . . . Pie for dinner and Pie for dessert . . . Not recommended by gourmets, I'm sure . . .  but I rarely ever bake or heat up the oven anymore, so figured I'd better take advantage of it while I was in the mood.  Will post a review tomorrow!

2 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to the review on the tortierre, it sure sounds interesting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Tortierre was DELICIOUS!!! I really liked the garlic/spinach/cheese change to the recipe. Instead of cooking it for 30 minutes at 350 degrees, I had to increase the temp to 400 and cook it for an additional 20 minutes, so if I do it again, I'll start out at a higher oven temp and cook it for about 45 minutes, I think.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for connecting with me by sharing your thoughts . . . it's one way friendships grow!